article thumbnail

Used Car of the Day: 2003 Volkswagen Golf

The Truth About Cars

Today we feature a clean-looking 2003 Volkswagen Golf. This one has a five-speed manual and recent maintenance/repair work includes a new starter and water pump -- though one of the cylinders needs a new valve. There are 153,000 miles on this ride. If you're looking for cheap (automotive) fun, the asking price here is just $1,250.

2003 59
article thumbnail

Satellite data reveal major loss in volume of Arctic sea-ice since 2003

Green Car Congress

autumn and 9% in the winter between 2003 and 2012, an. The researchers used new data from the European Space Agency’s CryoSat-2 satellite spanning 2010 to 2012, and data from NASA’s ICESat satellite from 2003 to 2008 to estimate the volume of sea ice in the Arctic. They found that from 2003 to 2008, autumn volumes of ice averaged.

2003 231
article thumbnail

Researchers discover new efficient lithium collection method using MOF membranes; Li from produced water

Green Car Congress

Researchers at the University of Texas at Austin, Monash University (Australia) and the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) in Australia have recently discovered a new, efficient way to extract lithium and other metals and minerals from water. Produced water from shale gas fields in Texas is rich in lithium.

Water 170
article thumbnail

California state fleet reduces petroleum consumption 13% compared to 2003

Green Car Congress

The California state fleet has reduced its petroleum consumption by 13% compared to a 2003 baseline, according to a state progress report. In 2003, the state fleet consumed 38,559,715 gallons of petroleum-based fuel (gasoline and diesel), according to the report. Department of Water Resources: 218. State Parks: 586.

2003 257
article thumbnail

Ford Becomes First Automaker to Join the Water Disclosure Project

Green Car Congress

Ford Motor Company is the first automaker and one of several companies taking a leadership position in joining the Water Disclosure Project , which will establish a water disclosure protocol for companies around the world and promote conservation and stewardship. For the past decade, Ford has made it a priority to conserve water.

Water 322
article thumbnail

China-based study concludes using political incentives to fight pollution is costly and inefficient

Green Car Congress

The study looked at water quality regulations and found that local officials more heavily enforced regulations on polluting firms that were monitored and tracked by the central government, while not enforcing regulations on firms not tracked. The unequal deployment of the regulations led to significant economic losses in China.

Pollution 220
article thumbnail

Chevron Confirms first oil production from deepwater Papa-Terra offshore Brazil

Green Car Congress

Located approximately 70 miles (110 kilometers) southeast of Rio de Janeiro at a water depth of approximately 3,900 feet (1,190 meters), Papa-Terra is a heavy oil development within Block BC-20 of the southern Campos basin. Chevron holds a 37.5% interest in the Papa-Terra field, while Petrobras, the project operator, has the remaining 62.5%.

Chevron 261